Thursday, January 25, 2007

Unit 2

-Genetics-

As far as the choices in this scenario are concerned, I decided fairly easily. If the cancer gene was part of my family history I would definitely want to know and get tested. If it turned out that I had the defective gene I would still want to have children of my own. Cancer research has made huge strides in the past decade and I think we may see a cure within the decade to come. I would advise my children to eat healthy and exercise whether they have the gene or not.

-Biology-

The myth that humans only use ten percent of our brains is probably derived from the misinterpretation of Einstein or some other scientist and then spread through media. This myth however, is completely untrue. According to current research damage or removal of small parts of the brain have massive effects on a person.

After Einstein died his brain was removed during an autopsy and studied by Dr. Thomas Harvey. Dr. Harvey, among others, has done some extensive research to try and figure out what made Einstein's brain so magnificent. While most of the studies are unreliable Dr. Thomas related Einstein's brainpower to a greater number of glial cells per neuron than average.

Today the brain is compared to a computer. Some of the similarities are the need for energy, the use of electrical signals to transmit information, and the ability to store memory. Differences include awareness, emotion, dreams and thoughts; all of which computers are not capable of at this time.

-Unit Wrap Up-

Before this assignment I was unaware of a lot of the information involving the Human Genome Project. I found it very interesting that more than 35,000 genes exist and they all represent something unique. Not only that, I think its pretty impressive that scientists have actually decoded most of them. I believe this project will be a milestone in the future of medical research.

No comments: